Index to Samuel Willard
Samuel Willard (1640-1707) was pastor of Old South Church in Boston, President of Harvard College, and in some ways might be considered the Last of the Puritans. His magnum opus, A Compleat Body of Divinity, was the largest book ever printed in New England at the time, and it's my all-time favourite uninspired book. It gives me great pleasure to share some of Willard's wonderful sermons with you, and I hope you benefit from them as I have.
Most of the sermons are in PDF Image format. They are viewed the same as other PDF files with the Adobe Acrobat viewer, but they are larger and therefore take longer to download. You might wish to read the notes below and look at a sample before downloading sermons.
These sermons are not suitable for viewing online unless you have a very fast connection. You should download them first and read them offline.
Why I love this book so much
About the Book
My Experience in Reading Willard
About PDF Image files
A sample to look at before downloading
About PDF files in general
Sermons from his "Compleat Body of Divinity"
- The book is organized according to the Westminster Shorter Catechism:
- Question 1. What is the Chief End of Man?
- Sermon 1 Man's Chief End is to Glorify God (PDF) 237K
- Sermon 2 Man is to Glorify God (PDF) 248K
- Sermon 3 Man is to Enjoy God Forever (PDF) 238K
- Question 2. What rule hath God given us, how we may glorify and enjoy Him?
- Sermon 4 There is a Rule to Direct Us (PDF) 316K
- Sermon 5 Scripture is Our Only Rule (PDF) 212K
- Question 7. What are the Decrees of God?
- Sermon 32 The Decrees of God (HTML) The very best short treatment of this subject anywhere.
- Sermon 33 How God Executes His Decrees (PDF) 212K
- Question 21. Who is the Redeemer of God's Elect?
- Sermon 80 Christ Our Redeemer (PDF) 268K
- Sermon 81 Christ's Two Natures (PDF) 293K
- Question 27. Wherein did Christ's Humiliation consist?
- Sermon 96 Christ Humbled Himself (HTML) A sermon on Christ's birth. Practical, helpful. Also available in Word format. PDF
- Question 28. Wherein consists Christ's Exaltation?
- Sermon 109 The Nature of Christ's Resurrection (HTML) "Let the consideration of our interest in his resurrection help us to triumph over death and the grave." Also available in Word format. PDF
- Sermon 110 Is Christ Ascended? (HTML) "That man is out of reach of harm in this life, who is sure of possessing heaven in the next." A short extract.
- Question 30. How does the Holy Spirit apply to us the Redemption purchased by Christ?
- Sermon 114 How the Spirit Applies Redemption (PDF) 493K
- Question 31. What is Effectual Calling?
- Sermon 115 What is Effectual Calling? (PDF) 529K
- Sermon 116 External Calling (PDF) 558K
- Sermon 117 Conviction of Sin (PDF) 520K
- Sermon 118 Conviction of Misery (PDF) 553K
- Sermon 119 Illumination; the Assent of Faith (PDF) 520K
- Sermon 120 Renewing of Our Wills (PDF) 474K
- Sermon 121 Conversion (PDF) 513K
- Question 34. What is Adoption?
- Sermon 128 What is Adoption? (PDF) 250K
- Sermon 129 The Glorious Privledge of Adoption (PDF) 298K This is a great sermon.
- Question 37. What benefits do believers receive from Christ at Death?
- Sermon 138 Why Christians Must Pass Through Death (PDF) 266K
- Sermon 139 The Happiness of Believers at Their Death (PDF) 242K This is an extraordinary sermon. "Use. How happy then must the Soul needs be, in the possession of this benefit? When it is thus prepared to be filled with all the glories of heaven, all of which are full of holiness, and can make us happy no farther than we are holy? Then also shall we be enabled to glorify God forever, to the utmost capacity of our nature, most extensively and unweariedly. Where the loud sound of hallelujahs, eternally, shall not tire our spirits, or make us weary. Let this then sweeten the thoughts of death to believers. If a little holiness in exercise be now so sweet to you, how precious will the completeness of it be? Let then, the assured expectation of this, make you reckon the day of your death, far better than that when you were born. And let such thoughts as these, I am hasting to the time and state wherein I shall sin no more, never be troubled with one temptation more, when I shall be complete in Christ, and filled with His fullness, and enabled to love, admire, praise and delight in Him forever, without interruption or weariness, make you cheerfully look out for the approach of that change which will introduce you into this so longed for felicity."
- Sermon 140 The Souls of Believers Will Be in Glory (PDF) 263K
- Sermon 141 The Bodies of Believers After Their Death (PDF) 263K
- Question 38. What benefits do believers receive from Christ at the Resurrection?
- Sermon 142 There Will Be a Resurrection (PDF) 266K
- Sermon 143 Believers Will Be Resurrected to Glory (PDF) 260K
- Sermon 144 There Will Be a Judgement (PDF) 306K
- Sermon 145 Christ Will Be the Judge of His Redeemed (PDF) 272K
- Sermon 146 The Blessedness of Believers in Heaven (PDF) 250K
- Question 39. What is the Duty that God requires of Man?
- Sermon 147 God Requires Obedience as Man's Duty (PDF) 279K
- Question 40. What did God at first reveal to Man as the Rule of his obedience?
- Sermon 148 All Men are to Obey the Moral Law (PDF) 324K
- Sermon 149 The Purpose of the Law (PDF) 307K
- Sermon 150 Man's Duty Before God (PDF) 246K
- Question 41. Where is the Moral Law summarily comprehended?
- Sermon 151 The Ten Commandments (PDF) 300K
- Question 42. What is the Sum of the Ten Commandments?
- Sermon 152 Loving God, Our Neighbours, and Ourselves (PDF) 279K
- Question 43. What is the Preface of the Ten Commandments?
- Sermon 153 The Preface to the Ten Commandments (PDF) 314K
- Question 46. What is required by the First Commandment?
- Sermon 154 What is Required by the First Commandment (PDF) 279K
- Sermon 155 Acknowledging God as Our God (PDF) 297K
- Sermon 156 Faith and Worship (PDF) 304K (Very Good)
- Question 47. What is forbidden by the First Commandment?
- Sermon 157 What is Forbidden by the First Commandment (PDF) 298K
- Question 48. What are we especially taught by these words (before Me) in the First Commandment?
- Question 50. What is required by the Second Commandment?
- Sermon 158 "Before Me;" The Second Commandment (PDF) 287K
- Sermon 159 The Divine Authority to Institute Worship (PDF) 253K
- Sermon 160 The Ordinances (PDF) 319K
- Question 51. What is forbidden in the Second Commandment?
- Sermon 161 What is Forbidden in 2nd Commandment? (PDF) 541K
- Question 52. What are the reasons annexed to the Second Commandment?
- Sermon 162 Reasons Annexed to Second Commandment (PDF) 626K
- Question 54. What is required in the Third Commandment?
- Sermon 163 Third Commandment; Taking God's Name (PDF) 620K
- Sermon 164 Oaths; Reverence to God (PDF) 594K
- Question 55. What is forbidden in the Third Commandment?
- Sermon 165 What is Forbidden in Third Commandment (PDF) 568K
- Sermon 166 Dishonoring God; Murmuring (PDF) 627K
- Question 64. What is required in the Fifth Commandment?
- Sermon 175 The Second Table; Orders of Mankind (PDF) 368K
- Sermon 176 Duties of Parents (PDF) 324K
- Sermon 177 Duties of Children (PDF) 273K
- Sermon 178 Duties of Husbands and Wives (PDF) 304K
- Sermon 179 Duties of Masters and Servants (PDF) 306K
- Sermon 180 Old & Young; Civil Government (PDF) 264K
- Sermon 181 Magistrates and the Law (PDF) 236K
- Sermon 182 Duties of Judges (PDF) 270K
- Sermon 183 Duties of Rulers; War (PDF) 250K
- Sermon 184 Duties of Subjects (PDF) 303K
- Sermon 185 The Church; Duties of Ministers (PDF) 253K
- Sermon 186 Duties of Church Members (PDF) 256K
- Sermon 187 Duties of Rich and Poor; Friendship (PDF) 286K
- Question 65. What is forbidden in the Fifth Commandment?
- Sermon 188 Sins Forbidden by the Fifth Commandment (PDF) 265K
- Question 74. What is required in the Eighth Commandment?
- Sermon 197 Requirements of the 8th Commandment (PDF) 330K
- Sermon 198 Property; Must All Have Callings? (PDF) 306K
- Sermon 199 What is Required for a Lawful Calling? (PDF) 344K
- Sermon 200 Is the Charging of Interest Lawful? (PDF) 345K
- Sermon 201 Having a Good Conscience in Commerce (PDF) 328K
- Sermon 202 Prices; The Improvement of Estates (PDF) 366K
- Question 75. What is forbidden in the Eighth Commandment?
- Sermon 203 What is Forbidden by the 8th Commandment? (PDF) 329K
- Sermon 204 Unrighteousness in Gaining Things (PDF) 384K