Fire and Ice Bookstore
We are pleased to offer the following books for sale in association with Amazon.com, a company offering the highest standard of service and convenience on the Internet. Amazon.com handles all the billing, packing, and shipping of your selections. We often order books from them ourselves, and we are confident you will enjoy their service.
The books below were selected as being particularly appropriate for people who are relatively new to the Puritans. Naturally the choices are similar in nature to the sermons on Fire and Ice! If you enjoy the sermons here, you will benefit from these books.
(Prices subject to change.)
About the Puritans
- The book I always recommend is Worldly Saints: the Puritans as They Really Were by Leland Ryken, published by Zondervan.
Not only is it an excellent introduction to the Puritans, it has
a superb bibliography ($19.99).
The best introduction to Puritan theology is J.I. Packer's A Quest for Godliness, The Puritan View of the Christian Life,
published by Crossway Books. ($11.99)
Peter Lewis's short but useful introduction, The Genius of Puritanism,
is very helpful on the distintives of the Puritans. He answers the question,
"What did the Puritans believe?" ($11.96)
By and about John Newton
- Letters of John Newton The Puritan Paperback edition. If you enjoy the letters on Fire and Ice, here are some more in a more portable format. ($4.79)
- Also available are two biographies of Newton. For adults, "But Now I See" ($7.99),
by Josiah Bull. Reading Newton's biography makes his letters all the more amazing. A biography for young people (though for a while it was the only biography available),
John Newton by Catherine Swift from the Men of Faith series. She is not theologically in
harmony with Newton, and her account suffers as a result. Nevertheless it is easy to read and interesting. ($3.99)
By and about Samuel Rutherford
- Letters of Samuel Rutherford This is the Puritan Paperback
edition by the Banner of Truth. You will never spend so little for so much in your life again. ($4.99)
- Grace in Winter by Faith Cook. Several of Rutherford's poetic letters turned into poetry. Highly Recommended. $11.69
- Samuel Rutherford and His Friends by Faith Cook. Spiritual insights and helpful historical background. The biographical vignettes of Rutherford's friends are gripping. Oh that such men would live today. $7.19
- Scots Worthies by John Howie. A valuable book, formerly too long out of
print. This book is useful for those interested in the history of the Covenanters, but I have "newbie" friends who found it fascinating. ($30.59)
By and about other Puritans
- The Marrow of Theology by William Ames. This is an overview of theology using Ramesian logic, namely that each proposition implies two more. The result is a series of lists of propositions, which are helpful and suggestive. If it was good enough for Owen and Edwards... $24.99
- Human Nature in Its Fourfold State by Thomas Boston $28.99
- Smooth Stones from Ancient Brooks : The Sayings of Thomas Brooks by Thomas Brooks. Selected by Spurgeon, no less. Any questions?
- Gospel Worship by Jeremiah Burroughs $17.47
- Learning to be Happy by Jeremiah Burroughs. A modernized version of An Uplifting for the Downcast. $3.19
- A Treatise on Earthly-Mindedness by Jeremiah Burroughs $13.27
- Thomas Charles' Spiritual Counsels $21.59
- The Existence and Attributes of God by Stephen Charnock $27.99
- Altogether Lovely by Jonathan Edwards $17.47
- Charity and It's Fruits by Jonathan Edwards $11.99
- Experience that Counts by Jonathan Edwards $3.99
- Freedom of the Will by Jonathan Edwards $8.38
- God's Passion for His Glory : Living the Vision of Jonathan Edwards by John Piper. The church hasn't caught up to Edwards yet. $12.59
- Jonathan Edwards on Heaven and Hell by John H. Gerstner. Dr. Gerstner was an authority on Edwards, and he draws on Edwards' unpublished sermons for an unforgettable study. This is life-changing reading. $7.16
- The Wrath of Almighty God: (Jonathan Edwards on God's Judgment Against Sinners)
by Jonathan Edwards, Don Kistler (Editor) $8.38
- Keeping the Heart by John Flavel. An excellent work, practical, helpful. $13.97
- True Professors & Mourners: Two Works by John Flavel $19.95
Other Book Sources
We also recommend the following book services:
- Reformation Heritage Books They carry a wide variety of Reformed and Puritan books, including some out of print books unavailable from other sources. Also their prices may be lower than Amazon.com.
- Cumberland Vally Bible Book Service They have the largest selection of Reformed books, with many specials.
- Trinity Book Service A good selection.